Pesticides

Cathal Walsh
Content Creator
Tuesday, 25th June 2019
Share this article
Crop duster flying over field of crops

Table of Contents

Maximum amount allowed in water:

0.10 μg/litre

What are pesticides

This term includes a wide range of chemicals used for the control of pests.  This includes insecticides, herbicides, fungicides, nematocides, acaricides, algicides, rodenticides, slimicides, heptachlore and heptachlore epoxide and related products and their relevant metabolites, degradation and reaction products. It came out mainly in the 1970’s that a large amount of the pesticides in use at the time were incredibly toxic. Although they were withdrawn from use many of them have proved very resilient in the environment.

 

How do they get into water?

It mainly gets into water through a runoff from gardening, agriculture forestry and industry.  Exceedance levels of pesticides indicate that there has been careless use of them in some area surrounding the source or the treatment facilities resulting in runoff.

 

 

Do they pose a risk to health?

This will depend largely on the type of chemical detected. In chemicals like aldrin, dieldrin, heptachlor epoxide the exceedance dose is very small due to their high level of toxicity. In general it is always wise to assume that a pesticide will be very harmful to health if consumed in water and to treat every pesticide as if it was toxic.

 

How do I know if they are in my water?

If you are unsure or suspicious that pesticides may have contaminated your water source it is always best to get a water test from an accredited lab.

 

How do I remove pesticides from my water?

While a granular activated carbon filter is probably the best method for pesticide removal, there are limitations on this system so  the first step should always be to stop contamination. If you are on a municipal water supply and detect pesticides then contact your water service provider immediately .

 

Share this article